TLOA Tribal Justice Plan: An Overview & Update on Implementation
The U.S. Department of Justice and the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) of the U.S. Department of Interior (DOI), in conjunction with the Tribal Justice Plan Implementation Work Group (Work Group), developed and is implementing the Long Term Plan to Build and Enhance Tribal Justice Systems (Tribal Justice Plan). The Tribal Justice Plan is a congressionally mandated report that was developed in response to the Tribal Law and Order Act. The Tribal Justice Plan was released on August 5, 2011, and in the last year the Work Group partners have focused on implementing action steps specific to their agencies and assessing cross-agency action steps for implementation.
The Work Group includes more than 10 federal partners who will support ongoing dialogue with tribes and implementation of the plan. The Work Group has identified four broad areas where cross-agency collaboration is critical to implementing the action steps, with recommendations developed with input from tribal leaders and tribal justice practitioners. These areas are:
• Developing Tribally Based Alternatives to Incarceration;
• Coordinating Tribal Justice Systems Infrastructure Development, Operations, and Programming;
• Managing High-Risk Offenders and Offender Reentry; and
• Communicating and Coordinating Training and Technical Assistance and Resources.
This webinar provides an overview of the Tribal Justice Plan, the Work Group structure, and accomplishments to date. Representatives from the Bureau of Justice Assistance, the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, and BIA will provide updates of the significant progress made on implementing recommendations and continuing discussions to implement remaining recommendations.
- Elizabeth Griffith, Associate Deputy Director for Policy, Bureau of Justice Assistances, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice
- Darren Cruzan, Director, Office of Justice Services, Bureau of Indian Affairs, U.S. Department of Interior
- James Antal, Deputy Associate Administrator, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, U.S. Department of Justice
Facilitator: Norena-Ann Henry, Bureau of Justice Assistance, U.S. Department of Justice
To view this webinar, click below. For a copy of the PowerPoint slides, click here.